Saturday 24 October 2009

Finding Inspiration from Family Photo's


Taking the idea of split second moments captured in a photo, i thought that old family photos were the perfect place to start. I spent hours shifting through albums and boxes and negatives finding the perfect ones to use, having a laugh on the way. I found beautiful pictures of my mum when she was younger, and have displayed them in a sort of time progression manner. I found pictures of my grandparents and great grandparents, and most moving i found pictures that my mum took on her nikon lens in Egypt when she was living there, which are really incredible and show her same desire to capture a moment. The one that i love the most is of an empty room with sun light coming in through the window, something others would not notice but that my mum took a snap shot of. the tones of light and dark are incredible, and i want to find a way to capture that contrast and tone in my photos. I decided i'd use the same old camera when i took some of my photos- maybe it would give me her luck!
What is most important about the images i've collected is their naturalness. They are pure and honest and taken in an unpretentious way, the people not trying to come over as anything but themselves. If the person looks happy, then he or she probably was, if they look slightly tired or run down than they probably were. (For instance the one of my mum with a scarf round her head- she's 3 months pregnant with my sister.) And as a running theme throughout all the pictures, exposed skin and aging is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment